Welcome to the Club!
The Yogic Studies Book Club is a regular gathering for avid readers with an appetite for topics in Yoga and South Asian studies. Join us to explore titles like Joseph Alter's Yoga in Modern India, Patton Burchett's A Genealogy of Devotion, Holly Gayley's Love Letters from Golok, and more.
Zoom sessions will be held bi-monthly on Tuesdays from 9-10:30am Pacific. Each book will be accompanied by one live 90-minute discussion session. Club members will also have access to the online YS Community forum, and are invited to participate asynchronously using the forum.
Students are expected to purchase their own books.
All are welcome to join! We look forward to reading and discussing with you.
YS Book Club Reading List (2023)
- January 31 — Ian Baker, The Heart of the World: A Journey to Tibet’s Lost Paradise (recording available)
- March 28 — Joseph Alter, Yoga in Modern India: The Body between Science and Philosophy (recording available)
- May 30 — Patton Burchett, A Genealogy of Devotion: Bhakti, Tantra, Yoga, and Sufism in North India
- July 25 — Holly Gayley, Love Letters from Golok: A Tantric Couple in Modern Tibet
- September 26 — David Haberman, Journey Through The Twelve Forests: An Encounter With Krishna
- November 28 — James McHugh, Sandalwood and Carrion: Smell in Indian Religion and Culture
- January 30 — Richard King, Orientalism and Religion: Postcolonial Theory, India, and the ‘Mystic East’
Note: this is a tentative reading list + schedule and is subject to change as the Book Club develops.
Sign up for the Yogic Studies mailing list to find out first about upcoming courses, podcast episodes, promotions, events, and the latest research delivered straight to your inbox.